I am starting to think seriously about distribution for apps on the @21 platform and I thought I would start by laying out some informal questions to organize my thoughts.
- Where is the consumer pull going to come from? I see developers so far but I don’t see many API consumers. Hopefully, this is part of the 21 master plan.
- (edit) A related and major question: where is the bitcoin coming into the system? At present, to get someone to buy more than a few test API calls, I have to persuade them to buy bitcoin, add it to Coinbase, and link Coinbase to 21. That is a major hurdle.
- What is the same about distribution on a machine payable web app store relative to a mobile app web store, and what is different? I certainly hope it will be less gatekeeperized and revenue will be shared more fairly…
- What is a good definition of distribution for platform apps? These are quite a bit like apps in a mobile App Store but maybe not quite the same. @PatrickWStanley suggested: “defining consumers, outreach, sales process, onboarding, etc.”
- What are some non-spammy but effective means of announcing new apps and changes to existing apps? A few ideas:
–something organic to 21 — some sort of community feature aimed more at consumers than at developers (assuming the 21 Slack channel is mostly for developers)
–autonotifications to everyone who’s used a particular app
–something external to 21 — a 21notifications Twitter account or hashtag — can’t expect main 21 Twitter to share anything except major app news
- What are the options for building long term relationships with API consumers without compromising 21’s strategic values/goals of removing friction from API use? At a minimum I’d like to have list of purchasers and some opt-in? method for communicating with them.
- (edit) How can we tell whether we are likely to face competition from established players that may partner with 21? E.g. I don’t want to build a password app if 21 is already partnered with LastPass.
- (edit) What tools are available to make it easier for users to consume large quantities of API calls? Some scheduling tools (visual cron interface?) might be helpful.
- (edit) How can we help consumers do enterprise onboarding? Our market could be 1000+x bigger when we are selling calls to an enterprise rather than an individual developer.